Sunday, March 21, 2010

Start Doing Hard Things and Get Something Free!

I've been doing a few hard things lately—watching my mother die, writing new speaking topics, trying to comfort my daughter as she deals with her daughter's problems. 


One thing that's been hard for me lately is not getting to read much. I've even stopped ordering review copies of books to read because I just don't have time to read them all. Well, I've mostly stopped ordering them. When the WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group offered to provide me with a copy of Start Here for review, I had to take them up on it. It sounded like it fit the purpose of this blog, that of helping people make a difference in their world.


I was right. Start Here is the second book by twins Alex and Brett Harris. Their first, called Do Hard Things, evolved from a blog they began at the age of 16 called TheRebelution.com. Rebelution is their compound word using rebellion and revolution and is defined as "a teenage rebellion against low expectations."


The Harris brothers through their blogs, conferences and books are inspiring kids to make a difference in the world, to listen to God and to do hard things. Start Here is the follow-up book, geared to helping teens take the practical steps to bring their dreams—God's dreams for them—to reality. I can't promise that it is inspiring writing, but the stories of what kids are already doing that illustrate their points are inspiring.


From sailing solo around the world at 18 to befriending lonely kids at school, from creating websites for nonprofits to creating nonprofits to provide wells in Africa, the projects these kids commit to are amazing. The brothers answer 30 or so questions that anyone (teen or 50-year-olds alike) might ask when trying to figure out how to get started making a difference in the world. (Although the 50-year-old might not need the part on what to do if your parents disapprove of your idea.)


Here's a sample:
A good exercise in planning a hard thing is to first ask yourself the question, What would I do if I had unlimited time and unlimited resources? That question helps you identify the big target—your vision as large as it can be.
Then ask yourself, What could I do toward reaching that goal within the limitations I face?
Finally, in light of the answers to the first two questions, ask yourself, What should I do?
The first question is a visionary question about what you would do. The second is a practical question about what you could do. And the third is a moral question about what you should do. All three questions are important.
I think this book might be more valuable if you've first read Do Hard Things (which I haven't). So if you know a teen who is excited about God and wants to make a difference in the world (or who you want to inspire to that level), get them both books. You can find options for ordering Start Here using this link. And you can find Do Hard Things here.


It's not easy to do hard things. (If it were they wouldn't be hard things.) We can get tired. We can get discouraged. We can get overwhelmed and give up before we start. Alex and Brett Harris's book Start Here can ensure we get started and keep moving into all the exciting avenues where God wants to use each of us. 


You can get started doing hard things by winning a free copy of Start Here. Simply post in the comment section below one hard thing you've attempted. Winner of the free book will be chosen randomly from all comments made by Sunday, March 28. 

5 comments:

  1. After 6 years serving as a missionary, my husband and I have had to step out of our "normal" roles with our Christian publishing house and raise more support. We needed to go from 40% to 100% in six months or less. After one month we are at 51%. It's really hard to trust God for this as we contact folks about speaking opportunities and reconnect with our mailing list all the while not sounding desperate. It's hard to order our days and fill our hours with productivity and do it cooperatively with each other. One month down and no light at the end of the tunnel yet...so we keep stepping forward one day at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Raising support, especially in this economy, is certainly a hard thing, Jacque. I will add your name to my list of friends who are seeking God's hand to provide support.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just begun reading "Start Here" after reading "Do Hard Things". Though aimed at teens, I find that it can be inspiring for those of us who are well past our teen years and tend to want to slow down.

    The message of the book is consistent with what I'm reading and hearing on several points--start where you are, don't wait for some huge thing on the horizon. Small things done faithfully lead to bigger things.
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, JC. I found the book inspiring as well. I often struggle with the faithful follow-through, but I am working at it.

    ReplyDelete